Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Doggy Bedtime Story



Katie reading Dr. Seuss to Star

It is getting a little crowded in my bed at night, but we all seem pretty content with our bedtime routine. When I head to the bathroom for teeth brushing, Star immediately vaults herself onto the bed and plops down dead center. As you can see from the picture with Katie, it's not a huge bed. With Network and Lily, I eventually got us a California King, after waking up every morning in the crack between the two mattresses of the Ikea bed that moved with us from Germany. But I'm not getting this gang a new bed anytime soon, and definitely not bigger than a Queen when I do.

After my teeth are brushed and Sunny's eyes have been treated with the dreaded drops (he is cooperating much better now that we are down to twice a day), I assume my position in the bed - traditional north/south orientation along the western edge. Then I pull back the top of the covers so Sunny can assume his position - non-traditional east/west alignment. His head is either on my shoulder or maybe head-butting me in the rib cage.

When Star sees the cuddling start, she angles in at about 30% to my legs, and plants her head on my stomach. Sorry - haven't managed to photograph the layout yet. Suffice to say - it IS cozy.

Fortunately, it's not usually permanent, although Sunny has stayed in his slot the past 2 nights, rotating 180 degrees at times, so I might wake up with my face close to his tail, which fortunately is down, protecting my face from worse awakenings. But sometimes Sunny moves off and spends the night on the padded blanket chest next to the bed, curled up in a tight ball.

And Miss Star often retreats to the far south east corner and curls up in a little ball over yonder. So there is room for me to breathe and move in the night.


Then comes the morning! At my first wiggle, Star is back wedged against me for some lovin'. She lies on her back and starts bicycling those front legs such that I fear once again for the safety of my face. She just wants her belly rubbed, but she's pretty excited about it all, so I often pretend to be asleep for a while with an arm thrown over her, delivering an occasional scritch to the head or belly.

Now Mr. Sunny in the morning is another story. He's a sleepy head like me. If he's still on the bed laying horizontally across the pillows, or at least against them, he might also get pummeled by the flying hooves of the Mrs. But he snoozes on. Eventually he and I start losing the veil of drowsiness, and they start wrestling and now I fear for my life as those jaws start clacking in close proximity to my defenseless posture. Oh yeah - forgot to mention - Star also likes to step right on my belly, right down low there on top of the full morning bladder. Yikes.

Before signing off for the week, I'll paint one more cute scene which I have yet to photograph, in the absence of a water camera.

Sunny has always taken up his post on the bath mat while I shower. When Star first joined us, she stood guard, or laid guard, outside the open bathroom door. I felt so safe - ain't no psycho killer gonna sneak into my shower with my double layer of furry guard.

Just in the last week, when I've stuck my wet nose out around the shower curtain to spy on Sunny all curled up in his spot, I noticed that our little girl has joined us, in the middle of the bathroom floor, keeping guard a little closer in. And the next day I think she was even closer. One by one, she is overcoming fears and settling in. Although the bed routine was settled in her mind from Night 1.

I am just overjoyed with this pair. I compare them often to my last pair - in fact Star is often mistakenly called Lily or Silly. My biggest joy is that they interact with each, something Network and Lily just never did. Sure makes for some fun photography.

Sunny is truly my sweet boy, very connected to me, but Star is so completely attached to me that I couldn't even sneak away and leave her at the dog park if I tried - most dogs would gladly be left there. I know Sunny wouldn't know I was missing if I left while he was attached to someone wielding a Chuck-It. Have I written about his CII disease yet? Hmmmm. A story for another day. Or another month - he has 3 more weeks of recovery before he gets to go crazy at the dog park.


No comments:

Post a Comment