Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Change of Scenery

On the four week "anniversary" of the evening my mother passed away, I want to share another glimpse of Kathy, Katie, Kathryn, Mom, Grandma. Those familiar with my posts will recognize the "glass half full", or as I prefer to say, "glass overflowing" perspective on life.

Here's the view Mom loved for the past 18 years. She could see it from the kitchen, dining, living and bed rooms of her home. She enjoyed it literally from the moment she woke up, through the whole day of preparing food, eating food, making quilts or puzzles, etc, even watching the night sky over the mountains if she was awake in the wee hours.




The morning after she came to stay at my house, I took this picture of her new view. Quite a change of scenery.




But she soon saw something different. She kept telling us, family and caregivers, what she saw. We all looked, and looked, and eventually saw, or had her explain it. With the holidays approaching, she saw a Christmas Tree.

She had the caregivers go outside in the cold with their cameras and try and try for the right angle because she had an idea, a plan, something she wanted to make.

Finally, the picture was perfect. The Star placed on top by caregiver Micah. Do you see the tree?




And I made it into what she envisioned. I printed it out and took it to her. Oh the smile of wonder and joy on her face, to see her small wish come true. The card she might have sent to her friends, if she'd had just a little more time.




1 comment: