Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!

It's New Year's Eve.

I'm not out celebrating with friends.

Friends aren't here celebrating with me.

I'm not with family.

I'm Home Alone with Doggies, one crashed on the couch,


one bringing me a stripped naked tennis ball again and again.




At 9:00 pm, I just finished WORKING. And it's the best New Year's Eve I've spent in years, because I just solved a problem that has been kicking my butt since September.

Those that know me best know that I'm pretty darn happy when I'm reconciling a bank account. Well, corporate bank account reconciliation is the MOTHER of all bank recons. I can't say how many lines of data or how many digits, of course, but I finally found bank recons complex enough to keep me happy for hours and hours. No, I haven't been working on it since September, but start to finish, this one took me about 18 hours (that flew by like it was 5 minutes) in 3 uninterrupted sittings this weekend to do a 6 month recon. And I only got it done that fast because parts of it had been done by me and others in bits and pieces over the months.

On that happy note, I can say goodbye to a very successful 2012, and gaze into the future at what 2013 might bring.

To bring down the party (should I really do that in this post??), I fear it will bring me a blind dog, my own dear Sunny. (Yes, I should write this, because this is what I set out to write when I sat down - that stuff up there is just a warm-up.)

Dear diary, you missed the canine medical adventures we've had since July. As souvenirs from our journey, we have stacks and stacks of invoices from 3 vets (I know, I just sorted all the 2012 bills) and a big huge dent in the P&L statement for the year. So the accountant in me says good riddance to those money-pit eyes. In finance class, I learned that it's a sunk cost - not an investment - those expensive, glowing brown orbs, so expressive even after having lost sight completely in #1. At what cost to keep them? The meds keeping them happy since Thanksgiving are a temporary solution and will start being tapered this week.

A few weeks before Turkey Day, the inflammation was bad enough that I scheduled the surgery to put him out of my misery. This was about the same time I was dropping big bucks to find out that nobody could tell us why he was having bloody noses. But 2 weeks later, the "let's just try this for the bloody noses" medication had given so much relief to the eyes that doc wouldn't let me make him operate.

And 5 weeks later, a week after Christmas Eve, all is calm, all is bright.




But like I said, the moment of truth beckons. Please just let us get moved into the new house so I don't have to move a blind dog.

And now, the whole point of making this post. I had written something about all this back in November on the day when the surgery was cancelled, and I wanted to get it recorded here. So here goes:



The Dog That Will Go Blind, But Not Today

It's a roller coaster ride,
it is,
it is.

To commit
on the 7th day of November
To remove the right eyeball of one's dear dog
on the 20th of November.
Then to decide
on the 15th of November
That two operations constitutes cruelty to animals
Therefore one must sacrifice both orbs.
Then to learn that things have calmed down
and nothing should be done
during the month of November 2012.

But at the bottom of the dip
with a realization I was hit...

This is a death.

The dog that communicates with his eyes will be lost to us.
Odd, isn't it. Since dogs supposedly don't like to look us in the eye,
Yet they seem to know that we humans need this link.

So when faced with the loss of the soulful Lab eyes and the dog that
is defined thus,
We must take our turn to mourn, and then look ahead with anticipation
at the new dog who will blossom in his place.





Come On Mom - 2013 is waiting! 
We have lots of Reading Rovers and Agility to do. 
Let's Go!


No comments:

Post a Comment