Friday, March 12, 2010

Smart Little Girl

I know I thought this a week ago, before all heck and uveitis broke loose, and I'll dare to say it again - I feel like we are settling into the new double-dog routine. Except during the morning walk when I really really wish we had a yard so they could take care of their business on their own time while I enjoy my breakfast. But alas - something to look forward to in 2011 or 2012. For now we are committed to apartment living until at least April 9th, 2011. Maybe a new house would make a nice happy birthday to me at that time. Hmmmmm.

It is amusing to watch the interplay. This morning, Star was chewing on the bone so I invited Sunny to "up" on the bed where he likes to lie in the morning sun while I shower. Star wanted to know what she was missing out on, so she abandoned the bone, jumped up on the bed, and just that quick, little Sunny Sunshine slipped off the bed and stole the bone.

Then he took the bone away out into the living room, while Star soaked up the belly rubs and ear scritches, and soon Sunny realized that he wasn't being envied or challenged. So he brought the bone back to where the rest of us were to show it off. Just like kids sometimes.

Now here's something really fun: After every meal, I ask Sunny to hand me his bowl. He picks it up and hands it to me, well - mouths it to me. This can be a simple one-shot process, or it can take a crazy long time depending on how buzzed up he is and how many times he throws it in the air and kicks it around on the ground trying to turn it back over so he can get a grip.

This morning we came back from the walk and I went to the bowl and asked him to pick it up. However, he had already grabbed the hollowed out carcass of the sheepskin ball (which you may remember from a previous post as the sacrificial lamb) and wanted to engage me in play with him and the, um, that thing. So, little Miss Star walked up, picked up the bowl and handed it up to me, just as pretty as you please! She had been observing this routine for the past 2 weeks and figured that she could do it too. Testing that it wasn't just an accident, I moved to the second bowl, gave the command and was rewarded again by her eager compliance. Of course Sunny jumped in and tried to make it a tug of war game.

And now they are settled into their morning naps, Star curled up on the dog bed to my left, Sunny soaking up the sun by the window. Oh how nice it is to have the sun moving north again so that it stays in our window longer in the mornings. Sunny and I are sun worshipers and love to soak up the rays.

1 comment:

  1. It was a fluke - Star has shown absolutely no interest or aptitude in bowl retrieving since this post. Sometimes I wonder if I had the dogs mixed up that day.

    ReplyDelete